Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Saturday 28 June 2008

The old methods are best


If at first you don't succeed... delete the post completely, and try again.

I've had problems with line spacing, words jumping about into Places They Shouldn't Be, and then the issue with the whole blog getting smaller and smaller down the page.

Anyway, I deleted the problematic posting - no dealing with coding and HTML for me, oh no - and re-wrote it. And now it seems fine.

So, back to the important allotment stuff. I'm on the Queens Park Allotment Association Committee, and we had a meeting last Monday evening to sort out, amongst other things, the best way to distribute The Rules (which some people had never seen, despite having a plot for 5 years... we'd certainly never seen them either), when to have a skip on site for a general clear-up, and how best to organise the Annual Show, which is in a couple of weeks. Some of the cups awarded in the past have gone missing, or at least haven' t been returned, so I'm going to use my Word skills to make some certificates for the winners in case we don't get them back.

We're off to the plot today to do some tidying up - the grass around the edges is getting a bit long but we need Mike to have a tinker with our petrol strimmer to get it going. Then we also need to hack back at the brambles from the nest plot - which are trying to take over. We're also planning to build a bench seat (an allotment essential I think you'll all agree) so I manager to pick up a few small pallets. (Also, it gives Adam something to hammer and nail at, which keeps him quiet for a while...!)

Also - panic panic! - we were reliably informed that you don't need to worry about shallots and onions flowering, that you can just leave them to do their thing until they're ready to be harvested. BUT now I find that other bloggers and websites recommend chopping off the buds as soon as they appear! Aagh! What do other people do? Any advice? Here's a pic looking along our rows of young leeks (leeklets...?!) You can see all the shallot flowers in the background!


5 comments:

Amy said...

I chopped but afraid I'm not the most reliable source since this is my first year with onions (hasn't done them any hard though)!

I think I need to convert my pallets into a bench I look very untidy perched on them amongst the nettles...

Nic said...

I chopped my onion flowers. I thought I had read somewhere that I should but rang the font of all gardening knowledge, AKA Grandad, and he said cut them off straight way or they will spoil the onion and you won't be able to eat it so I did.
I've been away for the weekend and Michael hasn't watered my plants in the grenhouse and they are all looking a bit dead :(

Anonymous said...

Aren't grandparents great? I had a tomato crisis earlier in the year, and with but one call to my grandmother it was all sorted. I then had to receive a lecture from my grandfather on how 'not to bother with all this organic nonsense', but mostly it was fine.

However, I shall follow said advice with onions - cheers nic!

Back to the carrot debate - mine are crap. Still. Am using Rainbow F1 (Jamie Oliver's fault and his lauding of being surprised by your carrot's colour as you pull it up). Now, tell me; Sarah has also planted Rainbow carrots. Is it all carrots are having a pants year, or is it just the rainbow variety?

Nic said...

LOL Sian. Grandad does go on and on when really a yes or no answer would surfice but since he keeps him and Grandma in veggies all year round and their village and the surrounding ones in tomatoes and green beans, all summer long, who am I to argue?
I will take a pic of my pathetic carrots later. I have tiny little seedlings from one sewing and nothing from another.

Sarah said...

I've also sowed Amsterdam Forcing 3 (I think) and Autumn King varieties, alongside the Rainbow. And they're all, frankly, crap.
:(
Sx