Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Sunday 30 March 2008

Rhubarb crumble, here we come


Rhubarb! We had a sneaky peek under our bucket yesterday and it's coming along nicely. We'll probably pull a few stems next week and see if it's as tasty as Sian says it is (I have my doubts). She recommends 'rhubarb a la sherbert dib-dab' - just dipping the stems in sugar and eating them. Hmm... I'll also have to do some research as to how many of the forced stems we can pick at this stage as we don't want to stress the plant.

Adam did some more digging yesterday, tackling the ground at the far end of the plot. It's been covered over for almost a year now and - look! No weeds!
Except for one giant massively-huge dandylion which sneaked in at the edge. Adam said it had 'roots to China'.










While Adam was a-diggin', I was a-sowin'. I made one of the beds into a seed bed - which basically involved doing a bit of digging and raking to make it a fine tilth. Ta daa! Here's my tilth...

: )

Then I sowed a row of kolh rabi, a row of brussels sprouts and two rows of leeks, so in a few months we can transfer them to their final positions. I'll sow more rows in a few weeks so we don't end up with everything ready to eat at the same time.

Oh, and Adam hates bindweed.

1 comment:

Bettiboots said...

Wa-hah! The rhubarb looks fab. I would recommend the caster sugar treatment, althugh I cannot claim the idea as my own - as usual, I was informed by Hugh Fearlessly Eatsitall. He also has recommendations for a rhubarb bellini, should you be interested...