Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Saturday 5 April 2008

Yum, and other noises


We tried Rhubarb last week. Our first spring crop from the allotment. I made a crumble with apple, and oats in the crumbly bit, which was gooooood. So we'll definitely do that again. But of course the young pink rhubarb stems could not be brought home without trying the sherbert dib-dab method which Sian told us about (Turns out it was originally Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's idea... or rather Hugh 'Fearlessley-Eatsitall' - good one Sian)

So, I liked it - 'twas tasty. But then I always liked the
taste of rhubarb, it was the strange things it did to the inside of my mouth that I objected to. Kind of like you'd been eating something tart and furry... Plus it coats your teeth. Uurgh.

But it didn't do that, which was good. Adam agreed that it was
better than usual (fine praise indeed!) but still - from the picture - seems unsure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhubarb wine is also very nice.

Sarah said...

Rhubarb wine??? I'll have to try it to believe it I'm afraid! Though I'm constantly surprised how many 'average' tasting fruit and veg can be vastly improved by making them alcoholic!!! :)