Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Monday 18 May 2009

Runaway May


The weather is definitely against us. Not only does it seem to rain every time we want to go to the allotment, but the wind somehow up-turned the mini greenhouse so on Saturday we found pots of compost and just-sprouted seedlings flung liberally all over the patio. I was not a happy bunny.

We have three parsnips growing. Three. After all that effort. Hmm. That's another thing I am Not Best Pleased About. And the carrots aren't germinating either.
Whoever knew carrots were so picky? They grew fine in our first allotment year! Maybe I'll have to try growing them at home in a trough instead, to give them a bit of TLC.

The tomatoes are getting leggy on the windowsill - we need to somehow give them some more light but don't have any more space. It's a dilemma. Having said that, one of the Italians on the allotment was planting out the smallest seedlings a couple of weeks ago on his plot. But then he's probably got the time to pop down every day and potter about, giving them all the love and attention they need. Ours need to be a more rugged, determined, Bear Grylls type of tomato, able to stand anything the world throws at them. Even blight, if possible.

So, I have no idea how things are at the plot, haveing cruelly neglected it for two weeks. Tsk tsk. Last I saw, all the beans were merrily growing away. Maybe they need some supports already with this wind... And HOW is it mid-May already??? We haven't sown any courgette yet! Agh!

Ever feel like things are getting away from you?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yes somehow, despite good intentions, I just never seem to actually get on top of things.

I am desperately trying to keep my plastic greenhouse upright but it is standing at rather an alarming angle. It fell over last year so I am imagine how you are feeling, so many little seedlings rudly dropped on the ground!

Not having any luck with carrots or parsnips either, I think it must be that bitterly cold wind (well that's my story anyway).

Still time to sow courgettes!

Shaheen said...

Don't fret! I planted my courgettes and baby pumpkins (which had been nabbed twice by the mice) about three weeks ago on the window sill and they germinated in no time, so you have time to catch up!

The Big Lunch Team said...

Hi everyone,

I saw your blog and thought I’d post this message about an event I think you’d be interested in. It’s called the Big Lunch and it’s being held on 19th July. We want as many people in the country to sit down for one afternoon and eat lunch with their neighbours, ideally using food which they’ve grown themselves. The aim is to bring communities together and create new relationships during what is proving to be a tough time for the nation. Please see www.thebiglunch.com for more information, including grow your own advice and ideas.

Needless to say this is a great project and one which we’d like to get as many people involved in as possible. To see the beautiful TV ad promoting the event, please visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgXGUUBHigM&feature=channel_page

If you’d like to join our Facebook group, please use the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=196094095044&ref=mf

The Big Lunch Team

allot of veg said...

Hi I see you are not having much luck with parsnips, do you think this is because you used some seed from last year? Carrot and parsnips only grow well from fresh seed. Possibly too late for parsnips (although I'd bung some in). I'm the world's most inept carrot grower I still can't believe they recommend them as easy for kids to grow. I usually forget to water and they give up. Parsnips are much more forgiving.

Nic said...

Boo!
Annoying Italians with the time to potter. I've just been to Grandads tonight and he spends all of his time pottering...maybe he could tend to his fav grand-daughters veggie plot too;)
I have loads of tomato plants so I can bring some to Jens wedding, and cucumbers and a couple of butternut squash....haha shall we just have a plant swap at the big, posh hotel in our dresses ;)
My carrots aren't growing and the ones I set last year (?) are coming out white, not sure what happened there.
Let me know if you want any plants and I'll bring them.
xx