Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Monday 19 January 2009

Roll on spring...


I've lost that New Year Excitement.

Last year the thought of flicking through seed catalogues and planning for the months ahead filled me with glee, but at the moment the thought of trying to decide what to plant where just seems a bit daunting and I've got no enthusiasm for the plot at all. And just putting that in words makes me feel a bit guilty.

According to the BBC news website, today is officially the 'most depressing' day of the year. I think I'm feeling it. Maybe tomorrow will be better and I'll be able to work up more excitement at the thought of having our Very Own Purple Carrots.

Yeay. Purple. Carrots.

You see? Usually purple carrots (and other unusually-coloured veg) bring a smile to my face. But I just feel like I need a BIG helping of sunshine and a couple of days where the ground isn't freezing cold and the wind isn't blowing my hair in my face and I can get some tidying up and organising done.

Maybe that's it. Maybe I need to get myself organised so I know how many left over sugar snap peas we've got left. And whether we need to plant some more onions.

Adam is much more positive. He popped down to the plot on Sunday, and in the space of an hour and a half managed to spread compost over four beds, chat with Phil, accept the offer of some more garlic cloves from Phil, plant the garlic cloves in a couple of rows, chat with Frank (the bossy Italian man who tells us we're always doing everything wrong) pull up some leeks and generally Assess The Plot.

Adam definitely still has New Year Excitement.


Time to make leek and potato soup... that'll cheer me up.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Cheer up! As soon as the sun comes out and the shoots start appearing you'll be dying to get out there!

Shaheen said...

Alongside your purple carrots - Why don't you grow some purple (blauhilde) french beans and purple potatoes (edzell blue) this year. I did last year and they made me smile. Noone else had them on the plot.

PS I like your blog. Please visit mine. Its allotment2kitchen

Sarah said...

Thanks guys - I'm feeling more cheerful today!
Mangocheeks - I like your blog, too, so I've added a link. Some great recipes on there! :)