Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Monday 11 February 2008

Packets of potential


Just realised we never had a picture of the seeds that I got so excited about last month. The Rainbow Mixed radish we can sow now under glass, but we have to wait to do anything with the rest until March and April... or even May! Aah! I've never been so keen for spring!

I'm most excited about the squash. I mainly blame Sian for waxing lyrical about squashes and pumpkins on many an occasion. I'm looking forward to getting the other squash varieties - which we're going to send off the order for later today -which includes white ones shaped like flying saucers and mini pumpkins which are (according to the catalogue) 'ideal for two people'. Also ideal for carving mini Halloween lanterns out of, methinks.

Potato Chitting Update!





Wah! They're getting hairy!

And one last thing. After my broad bean planting predicament (to bean or not to bean...) I've finally found a book which DOES mention planting broad beans in February (yeay!) The Allotment Keeper's Handbook by Jane Perrone - see perrone.blogs.com - has been a really handy book (he he!) plus Jane lives in Bedfordshire so we can assume that her month-to-month guide is going to be pretty relevant to us! Thanks Jane! :)

2 comments:

Bettiboots said...

Having followed your suggestions I have popped a couple of beans in a pot on the windowsill. My question is why? What's the advantage of beaning now?

Sarah said...

You know, I'm not entirely sure... but I assume it's to lengthen the overall season. Broad beans will apparently germinate at about 5 degrees C, so if you plant them early they can be up and growing way ahead of other bean or pea varieties, and giving you a crop earlier too.