Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Thursday 29 October 2009

Disheartened


I have been remiss. Updates are not appearing on here as thick and fast as they should probably be. But there, look, I only posted once last October, so this is a vast improvement. And anyway, not much has been going on this month. Or at least, not much has been going on that I've been tempted to blog about.

We're onto chicken no. 5. A couple of weekends ago Lola had a cough on the Saturday, wheezed on the Sunday, and was dead on the Monday morning. Even as we were discussing the possibility of finding a chicken-certified local vet. And Lola! Good ol' faithful, had-since-the-beginning Lola! There were tears, as I wrapped her in newspaper...

I've put off blogging about it this long because our apparent lack of ability to keep chickens alive had me feeling somewhat ashamed, embarrassed, guilty, sad, angry... they were never supposed to be pets, exactly, but then they're not supposed to blimmin' well die so fast either. What are we doing wrong?!! Ah well. We discussed getting rid of Peggy Sue and becoming chickenless again (after all, where the run had been would make a fantastic veggie patch - all that poo!), but then a Saturday impulse led to us getting as-yet-unnamed-but-possibly-called-Alice.

I know. Don't say anything. I'm still not entirely convinced it was the right thing to do. At least they have a fairly pampered life with us while they plot their numerous escapes and pop out eggs every day before their untimely demise.

And I can keep working my way through the cupcake recipe book my sister got me for my birthday...

3 comments:

Bettiboots said...

Oh no! I'm sorry about Lola. It's funny how they become members of your family, and it's terrible when they are just there and then... not. Poor ol' chicken :(

Anonymous said...

I doubt you did anything wrong. Sounds like Lola had a bug that took her fast and even if you did get her to the vet, it probably wouldn't have been in time.

They get under your skin these chickens...one minute we had three name-les battery hens and then they were members of the family with personalities. We sniffled a lot when little Paxo died and felt guilty we didn't do more and talked about not getting any more once the others had gone so I know how you feel about Lola.

But then somehow we ended up with another four. Lol!

Sarah said...

Thanks for your kind words steelkitten :) Trouble with having 2 chickens is that we'll always end up getting another one to keep the remaining one company! We're stuck in a never-ending chicken cycle! Fingers crossed these two are hardy lil' gals...
Oh, also, I've linked to your blog. Hadn't found it before but fantastic! and ooh! fingerless gloves! I'll have to learn to knit!
Sx