Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Tuesday 10 March 2009

And it's March already


Gah! March! Already! That's getting on for a quarter of 2009, gone before I've even blinked! We're halfway to May already, and we all know what happens in May - the Allotments Start Going Crazy. Weeds! Beans! Peas! Other Stuff! I'm not sure I'll be ready in time...

Adam went to the plot at the weekend, taking a wheelbarrow, some netting given to us by a neighbour, a bit of handy guttering and a soil sieve thingy with him... not sure we'll use that last one but you never know.

Something I've realised since getting an allotment is that you never turn down 'junk'. You just never know. It may 'come in handy'. I also peer into local skips - just in case, you understand - and gaze at pieces of wood and old pallets on an abandoned corner plot nearby with what I fear may be a longing expression. Although maybe I just inherited certain qualities from my Dad, who never gets rid of anything which might 'come in handy' one day...

While Adam was at the plot he also filled the newly-patched water tank with water to just above the patch. We'll see if there's any liquid left in it next week. Oh yeah, didn't mention that before. The weekend before last we patched the hole with some evilly-sticky sealent and some plastic, and then celebrated the completion of our task by digging up some leeks and having a beer. So fingers crossed it doesn't leak now. We also bunged a big bucket over the rhubarb. Feels a bit mean to deprive it of light but boy, it tastes SOOOO much better :)

I haven't been to the allotment for a couple of weeks. It was cold cold cold last weekend so I stayed indoors and made muffins instead. Yummy. Baking's much easier to get on with when you don't have to remember to buy eggs.

And it's nearly spring proper. Yey! Little buds are starting to burst on the trees and I really should get on and start trying to germinate some parsnip. Any hints or tips? Last year we had (count them) none. Not one. Bah. I want our own roast parsnip for Christmas this year.

Or is that just planning ridiculously far ahead?

10 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Sarah (and Adam!), I love your blog!
I managed to do well this year with my parsnips by chitting the seeds first - putting the seeds on some folded damp kitchen towel and making sure they didn't dry out. Then, when the little shoots popped out I sowed them as usual. I had 100% germination! They grew into whoppers too! Good luck!

Bettiboots said...

I've been hearing vicious rumours about chitting seeds, too (which I hadn't heard of until I got a book from the library). I've been reading about all manner of arcane rituals involving shaking seeds vigorously in a sealed jam jar with water in, or, in extreme cases, putting a nick in the seed cases with a kitchen knife...

Nic said...

Yeah, my Grandad starts most seeds off on some damp kitchen towel in the airing cupboard. I put this down to his faffing ways; why spend ten minutes planting seeds when you can make it last a week?
It doesn't seem to provide any better results to my more hap-hazard methods though.

Anonymous said...

Did you know there are over 4000 varieties of potato? Vivaldi has 56% less calories and 38% fewer carbs than other spuds. Can you tell I've been doing a lot of painting and listening to Gardeners' Question Time on the radio??
Chris x

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Vicious and faffing?! :oS I'm not talking about all seeds, just parsnip seeds and Sarah did ask for advice! I just prefer to check my seed is going to sprout before I sow it rather than wait an age for it to come up and it never happening. It worked for me anyway!

Bettiboots said...

OK, so maybe vicious is a bit extreme! I guess I'm just bitter after my impressive failure with sweet peas 2 years ago, only to discover I should have been chitting them all along!

Julia said...

:o)

Anonymous said...

Last year I accidentally chitted my peas in my coat pocket (well it was a very rainy day and I forgot they were there) but the results were impressive.

I have always just stuck parsnips straight in the ground but germination is poor and it takes so long to realise that I am definitely chitting them this year. And then planting them in rows covered with seed compost.