Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Thursday 11 September 2008

We're back!


Hello again one and all. Sorry for the absence but we're just got back from holidaying in Cancun, Mexico. (Not very carbon neutral, I know, but we'll plant some trees or something to make up...) It's an amazing part of the world but it's a bit depressing to come back to all this rain and grey skies.

We popped to the allotment on Monday which was very kindly looked after by our Mums while we were away...

Good things:
  • there are many, many squashes ripening, which is good 'cos I like squash (as I may have mentioned before.)
  • the carrots have grown, finally, and they taste really good.
  • there are lots of blackberries on the surrounding bushes so I can make bramble and apple jelly again.
  • the sweetcorn is getting fat and is nearly ready to pick.
  • the beetroots are getting big and juicy-looking.
Bad things:
  • some of the courgette plants have got mildew and look a bit pathetic.
  • one of the squash plants has some weird disease which makes the fruits go all bobbly.
  • the tomato plants have blight. Again. (sob!)
  • snails are eating the brassicas.
  • there are weeds EVERYWHERE!
  • I don't know if we'll get enough sun now to ripen the sweetcorn. That would be A Sad Thing.
  • I've realised I don't know how to cook beetroot... (research is needed.)
Things to do at the weekend:
  • set some beer traps to catch snails.
  • weeding, weeding and more weeding.
  • tie up the cucumber plants.
  • general never-ending tidying.
  • find out what to do with raspberry canes which are getting long and whippy.
  • decide what - if anything - we can plant to grow through the winter.

3 comments:

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Hi there and welcome back to reality.

I've been reading your blog for a good few months - always a good read !

Beetroot cooking ? simple : Boil it until tender, allow it to cool, then peel it . My better half loves it chunky in Peanut Butter sarnies !!!

Any chance of linking to my blogs ? I have linked to yours!

Have fun with those weeds!

TTFN

Gaz.

Sarah said...

Sure thing Gaz - I've linked to yours too. Thanks for the kind comments!

S

Bettiboots said...

Peel it and roast it as twere a potato! It responds well to LARD (but then, don't we all?).

Or, if you have so much of it you feel you can't possibly eat it all at once, pickle it - I have emailed you my mother's address, as she is the Champion Beetroot Pickler of our family.