Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Saturday 31 May 2008

British summertime


Rubbish, rubbish, weather.

It rained all bank holiday. Literally. All. Bank. Holiday. Adam said "Don't fret, we'll go to the allotment a couple of evenings this week." Only then it went and rained all week too.

So here I am at home wondering exactly how big the weeds have got, and whether the bindweed has completely taken over the strawberry patch, and that we really, really should get another water butt sorted out because just think of all that water that went to waste.

The sweetcorn is coming up, by the way.

Plus we've got cucumber and red and orange pepper seedlings on the windowsill, as well as butternut squash, acorn and scallopini squash and pumpkin seedlings too, all of which are just starting to poke their heads above the soil. I'm hoping to plant these small plants out in a few weeks but also sow some seeds straight in the ground - a sort of experiment to see which actually does better. If they'll go straight in the ground ok then there doesn't seem much point taking over reams of windowsill space at home to start them off, especially when you have to harden them off outside afterwards as well. It's all a bit too much mollycoddling for me - I'd rather we just bung stuff in the ground and let it fend for itself. Tough love, y'see.

If anyone can give me hints or tips on how squashes grow, that'd be appreciated. The only squash-related thing we grew last year was courgette, and they were bushy plants. I've heard of training squash up supports, but I'm assuming they'd need to be more substantial than your usual bean poles...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've planted my squash and pumpkins amongst the sweetcorn. They are supposed to trail along the ground suppressing weeds.
I've found growing up supports is ok until you have to engineer a support for the fruit itself - I gave up on that as they are really heavy.

Nic said...

I grew butternut squash up a cane last year...I know, I know, but I got confused and thought it was a cucumber to start with so it was in the greenhouse with all of its cucumber friends....anyway I kept tying it into the cane and then when the squash grew, I popped them in those net bags that you get oranges and things from the supermarkets in and then tied that to the canes. It kind of worked but I think it had vertigo ;)
This year my squash are rambling around on the floor as usual.