Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Tuesday 15 January 2008

Eeeeeeeeee! Seeeeeds!


That was the noise I (unfortunately) made yesterday evening when Adam told me I had an Exciting Package. Very excited to receive our first ever seeds from our first ever seed catalogue order. Thank you Mr Thompson and Mr Morgan, whoever you are. And now we just have to work out where (and when) we’re going to plant the leeks, green beans, butternut squash, swiss chard, multicoloured radishes and Brussels sprouts, whose seeds we are shaking in their packets, full of the promise of vegetabley goodness. And we’ve still got so much more to sort out before spring arrives… good ol' courgettes – yellow ones too – tomatoes, peas, and mange tout, broad beans, runner beans, different varieties of squashes (squashes? or just squash... why are they called squash?...). I want multicoloured carrots, parsnips and swedes as well, and possibly lettuce as a sort of catch-crop. Not forgetting the wonderful sweet sweet sweet sweetcorn which was amazing last year, even with all the rain and not much sun.

So much to do!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

o0o0o0 it all sounds very exciting! I'm looking forward to sampling some of your deliciously delicious stuff! If u ever need a hand just ask... plus let me know when you'll next be down there and I'll pop over to get in your way, drink your tea, and eat your biscuits
xx Jen

p.s if you ever need a strong man to help, I nominate Elliott (well, when I say strong...!!)

Sarah said...

That sounds great... there's certainly lots of digging still to be done. Maybe next weekend you and El can come down in the afternoon and survey the grounds!

Nic said...

Do you like radishes? Home grown ones are really hot and taste 1000 times better than bought ones.I think they are one of my fav crops because they grow so fast and taste so good.
Don't mistake your butternut squash for a cucumber and try to grow it up a cane because they don't like it....not that I would do that at all ;)
xx