Welcome to our allotment blog. We've got a plot, now we're trying to figure out what we're doing! So please join us - put the kettle on, sit back, and dream about Living The Good Life...

Saturday 5 July 2008

And the grass grows on...


Today Adam's dad Terry, sister Ruth and her boyfriend JB came to the plot see how we were getting on. JB dug up some new potatoes for us, Ruth attacked the shallots with gusto, and Terry made admiring noises about the compost (which is looking rather fine). We ate peas and mange tout straight from the plants, and freshly pulled radish which has a good bit of a kick. Quite nice to be out in the sun on a day which they'd predicted to be rain, rain and more rain. And other creatures were enjoying the sunshine too. I think this is a Red Admiral, but correct me if I'm wrong...

I also stuck in all of the plant labels I made during the week, so it actually looks like we know what we're doing now! But I need to make more labels, as there were a few things that we forgot about like the turnips, broccoli, radish and beetroot.

The strimmer is playing up again. After Adam had it running quite nicely during the week, come allotment-strimming time it decides to sulk. We've both had a tinker, as well as Terry and JB, and even Ruthie made a couple of suggestions for cunning starting techniques, to no avail. I think we may have to resort to slashing at the long grass with a machete.

Everything is growing pretty well now. The pumpkin and squash which Adam sowed from seed under little bottle-end cloches are starting to germinate. The first sowing of leeks are ready to be transplanted (must add that to the to do list) and we've got the first few Marmande tomatoes on the plants. No sign of blight yet, which is great, because last year it wiped out our tomatoes completely. But I think we've come to the end of strawberry season, all of a sudden, which is a shame because I never did get to make that jam.

The Asparagus peas are flowering with pretty little red blooms. Strange little rambling plants they are - and a bit of an experiment. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for when they start podding. We're picking more mange tout than we can eat - have given some away but will probably start freezing it if that's possible - and the onions are looking fatter and fatter as the days go on.

Louise - plot secretary - has promised us some asparagus seeds. Her and Mike have grown a great bed of asparagus from seeds which they were given, so were hoping to be able to create an asparagus bed at the far end of the plot, below the crookedy fence.

And we still have to build a bench from the lovely pallets I picked up last week. So much to do...

5 comments:

Little Veg Patch said...

Love your butterfly photo, its a Small Tortoiseshell. Beautiful little things arent they :D

Do you know when to pick Mangetout? I have some pods but unsure if they are too small to pick yet, but at the same time I dont want to leave them to get tough. Great blog I enjoy reading how you are getting on.

Sarah said...

To be honest, we just tend to pick the mangetout when they look like the ones you'd buy in the shops!!! Just under 3 inches long I suppose. We have left some a bit longer, so the peas inside start to swell, and while they're a bit juicier then the skins do get a bit tougher. But they're still good for cooking and stir frys.

Sx

Little Veg Patch said...

Hi Sarah, thanks for the info I think mine need a little longer before picking!

Matron said...

I grew asparagus pea last year, the flowers are beautiful but in my mind, the pods were not worth waiting for. You have to pick them small if you can find them, and I didn't think they tasted of anything.

Anonymous said...

I find mange-tout freeze quite well though they do lose most of their crispness.
Just to let you know I've tagged you on my blog. You don't have to continue the tag if you don't want to :-)